opening day!

Hello!  Welcome to the Hotel of Ambrotypes.

https://giphy.com/gifs/thegoodfilms-thegoodfilms-joaquin-phoenix-the-master-Lh5Y5Cv6wBYWI

I, Hadlen, am the owner of this fine establishment and will be your tour guide. We’ll begin with the hotel’s name, “ambrotypes”. Ambrotypes were a type of photo used in the early 1850s. The photos are first photographed onto a glass pane. Requiring many steps, liquids, and a very red room, the result would be a beautiful monochromatic photo that captures a moment of a person’s life. A moment that is special enough for such a process. Since these photos are real, they hold a history,  a story that can’t be made up. Here, we believe every visitor is an ambrotype. Your time here will be a moment that is worth the memory. And in this moment, everyone has a past that has led you to your wonderful stay.

As the owner, I wanted the hotel decorations to represent me. The candle lighting represents a constant internal flame, which at any moment can evolve into a bonfire, displaying the passion that I put into everything I do. The low light produces a dark, and mysterious atmosphere, which is aesthetically pleasing. It represents my inner tranquility, the no man’s land between two polar opposites; The dark and the light. I find my dark side to be the favourable one, I feel as if  that is where my best ideas originate from. But on the contrary, I find my humor in the light. The nostalgia and memories a person has fascinates me, hence the aged interior. It is what makes up a person. I constantly reflect upon moments that shape my identity, allowing me to connect with myself on a deeper level. The accented jade is a representation of my Asian heritage, and how I will always wear it proudly. My family has deeply impacted me throughout my childhood, so I wanted to include the accents to return the favour and keep them in my heart. I hope you appreciate the style as much as I did designing it.

I created this blog to improve my writing, skill and passion wise. Everytime I write, I feel like whatever I write isn’t good enough and I add so many things that it is worse than what it would’ve been. I want to build up my confidence in my writing and not hesitate with my ideas. To excel in something you need to at least have a passion toward it. For me, I don’t write or read in my free time and by adding to this blog I hope it will encourage me to practice writing and reading more.

From my staff and I, We shall never deny a guest, even the most ridiculous request.” – Mr. Eugene Krabs 

4 Comments

1. JimJam Reply

Dear Hadlen,
    Excellent job on this about me! I really liked the use of all the metaphors of decorations that were used to describe what was important to you, and what your personality is like. It was short and concise, and I also really liked the formality you managed to create by treating this as if you were a hotel manager. It’s also pretty descriptive and was able to create a clear image in my head, so props to you!
    There wasn’t much in here that seemed off, your grammar was good as far as I could tell and it was concise. However, at the very end, you mentioned: “I am a family orientated person and always feel like myself when I am with my family.” I think the problem I have with this is that for the entire piece you were using these great metaphors for everything, then suddenly you mention something without the use of a metaphor to back it up that kinda ruined the consistency and flow as it felt kinda abrupt. Another thing is when you said: “We hope you appreciate the style as much as we did designing it”. Now, this is a little nitpicky but the use of “we” seems incorrect as you are the one that designed the hotel, which is a symbol for you.
    Overall, great work on your about me, and I wouldn’t worry too much about those last two sentences, as the critiques I made were kinda nitty. Like I said, very clever use of metaphors and overall clean writing leads me in a sense of anticipation for your next works.
    From
    -Jimmy

• hadlen Reply

Dear Jimmy,

I appreciate you taking the time to read my about me. Your comment really means a lot and makes me feel more confident in my work. I acknowledge the feedback given and totally agree! Reading it again, I see the inconsistency with that family sentence. The other critique is something I will keep in mind for my future posts. It’s a simple thing that makes a big difference. Again thank you so much for reading and commenting.

Sincerely,
      Hadlen

2. khushiii Reply

Dear, Hadlen
    I really loved the fact that you explained to actual meaning behind ambrotypes ,alongside your personal connection with the word. You explained beautifully with the use of metaphors that were easy to understand yet very insightful.The way you set up your blog is also explained in a deep way it wasn’t just a simply explanation you talked about how every aspect of it connects to you and your personal style.I really loved your piece and I feel like I got to know you better .

I really couldn’t find anything that I could Pick out as a content error only mistake I found was in “I constantly reflect upon moments that shape your identity, allowing you to connect with yourself on a deeper level”. I do believe you meant to say ” my identity” instead of your.Other then that I think your piece is beautiful!

Sincerely, Khushi

• hadlen Reply

Dear, Khushi

Thank you so much for reading my piece. I didn’t leave a comment on your post but I thoroughly enjoyed your piece as well. I understand the feedback that you have given and thank you very much for it. I will keep my eye out to catch those errors for next time. I will make those changes right now and check if there is anything else I missed. Again, thank you so much and I hope to enjoy your writing as well!

Sincerely,
      Hadlen